Avoid Drowsy Driving
Are you planning on staying in town for the holidays? Most individuals have to make some sort of commute in order to reach their holiday destination. With the increased number of individuals on the roads, the holidays are one of the most dangerous days to drive! This is especially true if your holiday destination is further than a short distance.
Most are not able to take time off work during the day before Thanksgiving to start their drive. That means the likelihood that you will be amongst exhausted drivers during your commute is quite high! There are a number of reasons why you should avoid drowsy driving just as much as you should avoid driving intoxicated. Here are a few examples:
- Your reaction time is dramatically slowed when you have not gotten enough sleep.
- Your vision is not as sharp when you are sleep deprived.
- Your brain cannot process information as fast as it usually does when you have failed to provide it with enough sleep.
- More than 100,000 traffic accidents are due to drowsy driving each year.
- Those who work long hours, travel a lot for business, or are under the age of 26 are most likely to be involved in a sleep-deprived related automobile accident.
- If you begin to feel tired, you should turn up your radio! This can help you to stay awake until you reach an area where you can pull over, and take a nap.
- Over 16% of fatal car accidents are caused by drowsy driving.
We hope that you remain safe during the holiday season! Please contact the insurance experts at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services for any additional information regarding auto insurance! We are ecstatic to fulfill the insurance needs of Southern California, and provide excellent customer service. Located in Thousand Oaks, we can find you the perfect policy, at the best price. Give us a call, today!
Keep Your Business Protected During Your Holiday Work Party
If you happen to work at an office, then you probably know the next few weeks will be Christmas party planning time! Who does not love an excuse to get together and enjoy each other’s company, as you welcome the holiday season? While holiday parties can be a blast, it is important to keep in mind how the business’s liability could be affected by an accident.
Liability laws differ between states, but the chances that a company would be held liable for an office party-related accident are high. The main area of concern is alcohol consumption. It can be hard to monitor which of your employees has had too much to drink. If one chooses to get behind the wheel, and causes an accident, the business could be paying for it! In some instances, a separate liquor liability policy could be the savior your business needs.
Sexual harassment is another area of concern that should be taken into consideration during the party planning process. Make sure that the company’s sexual harassment policy has been adequately updated. It is beneficial to examine your business liability policy before finalizing office party plans.
If you would like assistance determining if your business liability policy is comprehensive enough, please contact one of the insurance professionals at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services, located in Thousand Oaks! We can tell you what should, and should not be allowed at your holiday party in order to keep your company safe. You should not be responsible for the worry that comes along with all of a business’s risks and liabilities. That is where we come in! Ease your mind, and allow us to protect you by giving us a call, today! We are overjoyed to act as your advocate in the insurance industry.
Keep Your Home Safe This Holiday Season
When you think of Christmas, images of Christmas lights, decorations, and daylong baking marathons come to mind! While all of these images are festive and joyous, they can also pose a threat to the safety of our home. Here at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services, we care about you and your family, and want you to stay safe. Here are a few tips for keeping your home safe and secure during the holiday season:
- Before hanging your beautiful strands of light, make sure to inspect the cords. They should be free of frays and cracks. If any of the bulbs need replacements, do not forget to check if the replacement has the correct wattage.
- Be sure to unplug all of the strands of lights in your home prior to going to sleep for the night.
- The fresher your Christmas tree is, the better! Dry trees are easier to catch on fire. Therefore, you should search for the freshest tree on the lot, or consider a safer, artificial alternative.
- If you tend to be a bit forgetful, consider installing light timers that will automatically turn off after a specified period of time.
- Remember to never use more than one extension cord for the same strand of lights. This could overload the outlet.
- Never use a strand of lights that is not properly certified by the CSA International, UL, or ELT. These certifications ensure that safety standards have been met.
For any additional information regarding how to keep your home protected, ask one of the agents at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services for a homeowner’s insurance quote. We are one of the top independently owned full-service insurance agencies in Southern California. No matter what insurance need you have, we can assist you! We deliver excellent customer service, and have the experience necessary to give quality insurance advice. We are excited to hear from you!
Store Your Leftover Thanksgiving Meal Properly
Thanksgiving will be here before we know it! Have you finalized your Thanksgiving menu yet? So many hours of prepping and cooking go into the food created at your holiday meal. Depending on the number of your guests, and the size of your dishes, you may find yourself with a great deal of leftover food. Do not let the leftovers go to waste! Store them correctly, and they could continue to feed you and your family for weeks. Here are a few easy recommendations for storing your Thanksgiving leftovers properly:
- First off, clear some room in your refrigerator and freezer to make room for all of your leftovers. You should attempt to do this before Thanksgiving Day.
- Make sure all of the Tupperware you are using are both airtight, and microwave-safe.
- Write the name of the food, and the date of when you first put them in the fridge on every container that you plan to store.
- Your refrigerator temperature should remain at 35 degrees at the warmest.
- If you do not believe you will eat all of your leftovers in 4 days, store the rest in your freezer. They will last much longer this way.
- Your turkey, pie, and stuffing should remain good in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- If you have gravy leftovers, eat it within 2 days after your Thanksgiving meal.
- Your cranberry sauce should be okay to eat as long as it is not older than 7 days.
- Try to eat your veggies within 3 to 5 days.
The Weeks & Associates Insurance Services team would like to wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving holiday! Please contact us with any insurance inquires you may have! We proudly fulfill the insurance needs of Thousand Oaks residents, and cannot wait to assist you.
If you are a home or vehicle owner, you are likely an insurance policy holder! Monthly insurance costs can certainly add up, but they are necessary to ensure that you will be protected in the case of an accident! When you purchase a policy from an insurance carrier, you typically set a deductible amount that you will be expected to pay before the insurance kicks in. The higher your deductible, the lower you monthly payments! Before settling on an insurance policy, it is crucial to completely understand your deductible.
When you set your deductible, you can choose to either deduct a percentage of the insured amount, or set a dollar amount. If you choose to set your deductible at $300, and you experience a loss of $900, then you will be responsible to pay $300 while your insurance carrier compensates you for $600. If you use a percentage deductible, such as 2%, and you have $10,000 of insurance, your deductible would be $200.
Depending on where you live, your carrier may require that you set your deductible high. It is important to remember that you must be able to afford your deductible in the case that you need to make a repair. Also, keep in mind that if you need to file a liability claim, your deductible will not apply! Its use is more for property damage. Your deductible will be explained on the declaration page of your insurance policy.
If you are interested in further insurance advice from a qualified and experienced agent, please contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services, located in Thousand Oaks! We are one of the top independently owned full-service insurance agencies in the state, and take pride in our excellent individualized customer service. Give us a call with any insurance inquiries you may have, and we will gladly administer the insurance counsel you need!
Rather than providing you with a fearful list of how dangerous certain states are for driving, we have decided to evaluate the roads with an alternative perspective. In determining the least dangerous states for driving, we took a look at the age in which motorists can obtain their driver’s license, police presence, and population. When it comes to safe driving, you must determine where the safest drivers live. Gathered is a list of the least dangerous states for drivers, some of which may surprise you:
- Massachusetts – There are a variety of factors that go into the safety ranking of this New England state. For one, young drivers are not granted their learners permits until they turn 16 years old. Additionally, there is a heavy presence of police on the Massachusetts roads and the second lowest ranking of fatal car accidents.
- New York – This one may surprise you, but the congested population makes it almost impossible to speed. Yes, driving on the New York roads may be overwhelming if you have not lived there all your life, but it is ranked as one of the safest states for drivers.
- New Jersey- Similarly, the congested roadways in New Jersey provide a safer driving environment.
- Virginia – This state is actually ranked one of the safest states for driving, across multiple fronts. Many attribute Virginia’s safe rankings due to the fact that the state government controls the roadways, as opposed to each individual county authority.
- Utah – Perhaps Utah’s safety ranking and minimal alcohol-impaired driving fatalities can be attributed to 62% of its population belonging to the Mormon Church.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California auto insurance needs. Whether you are living in one of the safest states or more dangerous states for driving, we will go above and beyond to provide you with an auto insurance policy that maximizes your security on the streets.
While everyone knows at least a little something about insurance, there can often be a lot of confusion from person to person about the particular details. Men and women alike believe some insurance myths. Here are 10 insurance myths we would like to clear up!
You should buy insurance coverage for your house based on its real estate market value.
• In reality, you should buy coverage based on the cost for materials and labor that it would take to reconstruct the house.
Red cars cost more to insure because they are speeding ticket magnets.
• Car color actually does not have that great of an effect on your insurance rates.
If you cause a crash with extensive damage to others, your auto insurance company can cancel you without warning.
• Usually, if an insurer wants to drop an account, they have to wait until the policy period is up.
Small cars are cheaper to insure.
• Small and mid-size SUV’s and minivans actually tend to be the cheapest to insure. Small cars are largely chosen by inexperienced drivers due to this myth and thus are more expensive to insure.
The Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare) allows health insurance companies to base their rates on existing medical conditions.
• In reality, it is the opposite. It prohibits health insurers from basing rates on pre-existing conditions.
Comprehensive auto insurance covers everything.
• It only covers narrow portions of possible problems like theft, storm damage, vandalism, and animal collisions.
Thieves steal new cars more often than older ones.
• Thieves actually steal older cars because it is more lucrative to steal them.
If a friend borrows my car and crashes it, their insurance will pay for the damage.
• If it is your car, it is your insurance that is responsible even if someone else is driving.
Obamacare requires you to take the health insurance plan offered by your employer.
• It requires you to buy health insurance but it does not dictate where you have to get it.
Out-of-state tickets cannot follow you home.
• Regardless of where you get a ticket, you are responsible for the fees associated with it.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California insurance needs. Do not let the various insurance myths confuse you. Let them keep you covered with a policy specifically personalized, just for you.
We all know that twice a year, we change our clocks backwards and forwards. It can be stressful and an added thing to remember in your busy schedule. Even though we do it every year, many people do not know why we have Daylight Saving Time. Here is some useful information about Daylight Saving Time to answer any questions you may have.
What is Daylight Saving Time for?
Daylight Saving Time’s purpose is to give us more daylight. By changing the clocks when the days start to get shorter or longer, we effectively move an hour of daylight from the morning hours to the evening. While it may seem unnecessary or annoying to those of us that do not care when the sun is out, it is particularly useful for farmers and other people who can only really work when it is light.
Which one is which?
There is a common saying to help remember which way we change the clocks and when. “Spring forward and Fall back.” In the spring we turn the clocks forward an hour earlier, essentially losing an hour of sleep in the first few days while our internal clocks adjust. In the fall we turn the clocks back an hour, gaining back that hour, and getting that amazing extra hour of sleep those first few days.
When in the morning are you supposed to change the clocks?
In the United States, you are supposed to change your clocks whichever way at 2:00 am local time. They do this to minimize the disruption to your daily life. If you do not plan on waking up at or staying up until 2:00 am it can be easier for you to change your clocks before you go to bed. Essentially, in the spring, your clock will spring forward from 1:59 am to 3:00 am; in fall, the clocks fall back from 1:59 am to 1:00 am.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all your California insurance needs.
While you may think that safety will not be a problem while trick or treating in Thousand Oaks, there is an overwhelming number of people who partake in dangerous activities on the roads during Halloween weekend. Following the basic safety precautions is the only way to ensure safety during this hectic time where partygoers may choose to drive intoxicated. Gathered are some important Halloween safety tips so that you and your family can trick or treat safely:
- Even if it will ruin the scariness of their black monster costume, it is important that each child is wearing something bright so that they can be seen in the dark. We recommend placing reflective tape on the backs of costumes so that they can still be spooky from the front!
- Each child trick or treating should have a flashlight on them and extra batteries in case of an emergency. If you can, try to invest in head beam light so that they will not be tempted to put the light down.
- Plan your trick or treating route in advance. Tired children are not very enjoyable to deal with. Avoid unnecessary paths and obstacles by planning your route in advance.
- Even if your child begs to wear heels to perfect their princess costume, make sure that they either wear comfortable shoes or pack an extra pair. Failing to do this will result in a long piggy back ride.
- Most importantly, always look both ways before crossing the street and be extra aware of your surroundings.
Happy Halloween! We encourage you to celebrate safely and responsibly so that this holiday can remain memorable for the right reasons! Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California insurance needs. We understand the importance of receiving peace of mind knowing every member of your family is adequately protected, and will go above and beyond to ensure that protection.
Business owners have a responsibility to go above and beyond to protect their business. Without the proper insurance policies in place, you leave your business vulnerable to disaster and harm. While you may think that as a business owner you do not have to think about insurance for disasters, many organizations have experienced financial ruin after being hit with a major disaster. Forty nine structures were destroyed in the March 2014 Washington State Landslide. This revelation increases the importance of obtaining the right insurance for disasters now to protect your business from all possible perils.
- Landslide Insurance: Experts recommend that everyone obtain landslide insurance protection, even if heavy rainfall is not a common weather condition of your location. There are a variety of factors that can cause a landslide, meaning you must safeguard your assets.
- Earthquake Insurance: As a California business, you must obtain earthquake insurance. Earthquakes can hit at any given moment, stressing the importance of seeking this protection. Your earthquake insurance policy will allow you to rebuild and recover if a shake affects your business operations.
- Flood Insurance: Without flood insurance, you leave your business vulnerable to financial ruin. Floods are notorious for leaving millions of dollars of damages in their wake. It is important for business owners to realize that flood insurance policies do not go into effect until 30 days after they are purchased.
- Hurricane/Windstorm Insurance: Depending on the force of the winds, windstorms and hurricanes can leave hundreds to millions of dollars in damages. The uncertainty of these storms increases the importance of having this vital insurance policy.
- Business Interruption Insurance: This is one of the most important insurance policies a business can obtain, as it allows you time and money to rebuild and recover after a disaster. Without this insurance policy, your organization would be forced to survive without lost income coverage.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California business insurance needs. We will go above and beyond to safeguard your business from a variety of common perils.