We all know that twice a year, we change our clocks backwards and forwards. It can be stressful and an added thing to remember in your busy schedule. Even though we do it every year, many people do not know why we have Daylight Saving Time. Here is some useful information about Daylight Saving Time to answer any questions you may have.
What is Daylight Saving Time for?
Daylight Saving Time’s purpose is to give us more daylight. By changing the clocks when the days start to get shorter or longer, we effectively move an hour of daylight from the morning hours to the evening. While it may seem unnecessary or annoying to those of us that do not care when the sun is out, it is particularly useful for farmers and other people who can only really work when it is light.
Which one is which?
There is a common saying to help remember which way we change the clocks and when. “Spring forward and Fall back.” In the spring we turn the clocks forward an hour earlier, essentially losing an hour of sleep in the first few days while our internal clocks adjust. In the fall we turn the clocks back an hour, gaining back that hour, and getting that amazing extra hour of sleep those first few days.
When in the morning are you supposed to change the clocks?
In the United States, you are supposed to change your clocks whichever way at 2:00 am local time. They do this to minimize the disruption to your daily life. If you do not plan on waking up at or staying up until 2:00 am it can be easier for you to change your clocks before you go to bed. Essentially, in the spring, your clock will spring forward from 1:59 am to 3:00 am; in fall, the clocks fall back from 1:59 am to 1:00 am.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all your California insurance needs.
While you may think that safety will not be a problem while trick or treating in Thousand Oaks, there is an overwhelming number of people who partake in dangerous activities on the roads during Halloween weekend. Following the basic safety precautions is the only way to ensure safety during this hectic time where partygoers may choose to drive intoxicated. Gathered are some important Halloween safety tips so that you and your family can trick or treat safely:
- Even if it will ruin the scariness of their black monster costume, it is important that each child is wearing something bright so that they can be seen in the dark. We recommend placing reflective tape on the backs of costumes so that they can still be spooky from the front!
- Each child trick or treating should have a flashlight on them and extra batteries in case of an emergency. If you can, try to invest in head beam light so that they will not be tempted to put the light down.
- Plan your trick or treating route in advance. Tired children are not very enjoyable to deal with. Avoid unnecessary paths and obstacles by planning your route in advance.
- Even if your child begs to wear heels to perfect their princess costume, make sure that they either wear comfortable shoes or pack an extra pair. Failing to do this will result in a long piggy back ride.
- Most importantly, always look both ways before crossing the street and be extra aware of your surroundings.
Happy Halloween! We encourage you to celebrate safely and responsibly so that this holiday can remain memorable for the right reasons! Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California insurance needs. We understand the importance of receiving peace of mind knowing every member of your family is adequately protected, and will go above and beyond to ensure that protection.
Business owners have a responsibility to go above and beyond to protect their business. Without the proper insurance policies in place, you leave your business vulnerable to disaster and harm. While you may think that as a business owner you do not have to think about insurance for disasters, many organizations have experienced financial ruin after being hit with a major disaster. Forty nine structures were destroyed in the March 2014 Washington State Landslide. This revelation increases the importance of obtaining the right insurance for disasters now to protect your business from all possible perils.
- Landslide Insurance: Experts recommend that everyone obtain landslide insurance protection, even if heavy rainfall is not a common weather condition of your location. There are a variety of factors that can cause a landslide, meaning you must safeguard your assets.
- Earthquake Insurance: As a California business, you must obtain earthquake insurance. Earthquakes can hit at any given moment, stressing the importance of seeking this protection. Your earthquake insurance policy will allow you to rebuild and recover if a shake affects your business operations.
- Flood Insurance: Without flood insurance, you leave your business vulnerable to financial ruin. Floods are notorious for leaving millions of dollars of damages in their wake. It is important for business owners to realize that flood insurance policies do not go into effect until 30 days after they are purchased.
- Hurricane/Windstorm Insurance: Depending on the force of the winds, windstorms and hurricanes can leave hundreds to millions of dollars in damages. The uncertainty of these storms increases the importance of having this vital insurance policy.
- Business Interruption Insurance: This is one of the most important insurance policies a business can obtain, as it allows you time and money to rebuild and recover after a disaster. Without this insurance policy, your organization would be forced to survive without lost income coverage.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California business insurance needs. We will go above and beyond to safeguard your business from a variety of common perils.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, meaning it is to go above and beyond to spread awareness! When it comes to spreading awareness, we must do everything in our power to educate and promote the movement in all realms of our lives. Pink October is a movement to make everything on the internet pink during the month of October. The NFL already participates by switching out their usual cleats for pink ones!
The Pink October movement is not sponsored by any corporations, rather, it is an individual movement that you can participate in by helping encourage others to make their websites and social media pages pink for the month of October! Simply changing your profile picture to the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Ribbon can help! Likewise, displaying the pink ribbon of awareness on your car with a magnet or on your blazer at work can stir interest and raise awareness.
In addition to the Pink October movement, we encourage you to educate those around you of the importance of partaking in smart preventative habits. Breast cancer does not discriminate, meaning both men and women are susceptible to breast cancer. Everyone should conduct a self-exam every month or two. If you have never had a breast exam, it is recommended that you visit your doctor and have the doctor perform a professional one on you. During the exam, ask them to show you how to conduct a self-exam. A major part of early detection is being able to identify any unusual lumps or differences in your body.
We recognize October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month and encourage you to sport the pink Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon during the entire month! Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California insurance needs. We will go above and beyond to protect every part of your life.
If you are one of the many homeowners who has not completed their fall home maintenance tasks yet, there is no better time than now to get started! Temperatures have finally begun to dwindle down, making these tasks less of a hassle. Gathered are 5 home fall maintenance tips so that you can prepare your home before the rain, hopefully, arrives:
- If you do not want your home to flood once the rain arrives, it is important that you clean your gutters and downspouts. These areas fill with leaves and debris, making it impossible for water to pass through efficiently. If you want to avoid a flood, be sure to clean these areas.
- If you will be using your heating system or fireplace to keep you warm as the temperatures continue to drop, it is important that you have your fireplace cleaned and have maintenance conducted on your heating system. The only way these systems can keep you warm and safe is if they are properly maintained.
- Speaking of staying warm, if you plan on using your heating system during the winter, you must go around your home and fix any holes, gaps, or cracks in the weather stripping and caulking of your windows and doors. This will ensure that hot air is efficiently being circulated inside your home, rather than outside.
- If you have some cracks or chips in the exterior paint of your home, now is the perfect time to go around and touch up with paint! The weather will allow the paint to settle smoothly.
- A fun task to add to your fall home maintenance checklist is to put away the summer toys and bring out the fall decorations. Bring out the cozy blankets for your couch so that you can cuddle up after a long day of work and spell your pumpkin scented candle burning throughout the home.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California homeowners’ insurance needs. We will go above and beyond to ensure your home’s security.
Whether you are looking to purchase a pre-owned vehicle for your new teen driver or looking for an older secondary vehicle, it is important that you obtain the necessary auto insurance coverage. Used cars are insured differently than new cars. Gathered are some helpful tips to guide you through the process of insuring your new, used vehicle:
- Since you will not need as much collision and comprehensive coverage for your older vehicle, you will save a little on auto insurance in this category. However, your liability limits will likely remain stagnant whether you choose to go for a used car or a new car because you are still a liability risk. Old and new cars cause the same damage when they are involved in an accident.
- Before you finalize any transactions, be sure to check the vehicle make and model’s history. Are they involved in a lot of car accidents? Are they extremely safe? The vehicle’s history will make an impact on how much you pay to insure your used car.
- Next, it is time to evaluate the driving history of the particular car you are looking to insure. Check how many accidents it has been involved in and whether or not it has undergone extreme repairs. You will also want to find out why the vehicle is up for sale in the first place. Did the last owner simply want a new car, or were they having reoccurring issues with the vehicle? This will determine how your insurance company calculates a premium.
- Most importantly, be sure to maintain a clean driving record. Each accident you are involved in and each traffic ticket you receive will highly affect your auto insurance premium.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance for all of your auto insurance needs. Located in Thousand Oaks, California, we can help provide your used car with sufficient coverage.
As a homeowner, it is imperative that you know exactly what is, and what is not covered under the standard homeowners’ insurance policy. Many homeowners wrongly assume that all of their possessions are covered under their policy, however, chances are your most valuable items are not. Insuring your jewelry is not as easy as renewing your homeowners’ insurance policy. Your most valuable items may benefit from being scheduled.
Scheduled items receive additional protection, and provide a homeowner with a variety of benefits. Scheduled personal property coverage acts as an endorsement to your standard homeowners’ insurance policy. Any of your lost, stolen, or damaged scheduled items will receive coverage. One of the most exciting perks of having your valuables scheduled is that you will receive coverage even if you accidently misplace a scheduled item. No matter what the cause of the damage or loss, your insurance company allows you to file a claim. You may want to consider having your fine art, furs, fire arms, expensive jewelry, collectibles, and antiques scheduled under an endorsement.
Scheduled items are replaced at replacement cost. Typically, the standard homeowners’ insurance policy replaces damaged items at actual cash value, accounting for depreciation. With replacement cost, your scheduled items will be replaced at the value they were appraised at. That is why your insurance company will require you to seek a professional appraisal for each scheduled item. Once you obtain an appraisal, you will need to have it approved by your insurance company. Also important to note, scheduled items do not involve a deductible. Your elevated premium will compensate for the lack of a deductible.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance for all of your homeowners’ insurance needs. Located in Thousand Oaks, California, we can help protect your most valuable items with scheduled personal property coverage.
As we say farewell to summer, it is important that we reintroduce healthy lifestyle habits back into our lives. As you have likely enjoyed summer and the lack of routine, you may be feeling the need to start improving and maintaining your quality of life. Gathered are some helpful tips to promote a healthier, and happier lifestyle:
- Water – Do you drink enough water each day? The majority of individuals fail to drink the recommended amount of water each day. Start each day with a tall glass of water and you will significantly improve your quality of life. You may want to consider carrying a reusable water bottle with you at all times so that you will be reminded to drink more water.
- Sleep – Getting enough hours of sleep each night is crucial for being happy and healthy. Insufficient sleep typically leads to excessive caffeine consumption and can even cause premature aging.
- Exercise – Improving your quality of life is impossible without a little exercise. You need to get out and move a little each day! You do not have to run on the treadmill each day to say that you exercised. Try different forms of exercise and find one that you enjoy. Whether you choose to do yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, or swim a few laps, it is important that you move on a daily basis.
- Fruits – The amount of health benefits that can be found through fruit consumption is amazing! Add melons, berries, and avocados to your daily diet and you will feel like a transformed person!
- Vegetables – Do you follow the recommended vegetable intake and consume 5-9 servings of vegetables daily? The majority of individuals do not. Try adding vegetables to each meal.
- Most importantly, love yourself – Do not think of these things as annoying tasks, rather, think of them as lifestyle habits that are necessary for a happy and healthy life.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance for all of your health insurance needs. Located in the heart of Thousand Oaks, California, we can help protect your most valuable asset – yourself.
As you have poured your heart and soul into your new business, it only makes sense that you would protect your investment with a comprehensive business insurance policy. Since each business’ insurance needs are different, you will need to evaluate your business operations and determine the best combination of coverage options. Allow the experienced professionals at Weeks & Associates Insurance to help personalize a unique business insurance policy for you. Your coverage options include but are not limited to:
- Property Insurance: This insurance policy will cover your building, your equipment, your inventory, and any other contents. Without this insurance policy, you would be required to replace all lost or damaged items out of pocket.
- Liability Insurance: This insurance policy will cover the medical expenses of injured customers and will provide you with legal defense if your organization is sued. This is one of the most important insurance policies to have, as it protects you from enduring financial loss. The prevalence of lawsuits in today’s business world makes this a no-brainer purchase.
- Commercial Auto Insurance: This insurance policy will provide your commercial vehicles with coverage. If your employees drive their own vehicles to conduct business, the coverage will extend to those vehicles as well.
- Business Interruption: This insurance policy will cover lost income if you are forced to close for a temporary period of time after a covered peril, such as a fire.
- Worker’s Compensation: This insurance policy will provide both you and your employees with protection. Injuries and illnesses related to business operations will be covered under this insurance policy. If you have more than 1 employee, you are required by law to obtain worker’s compensation coverage.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance for all of your business insurance needs. Located in the heart of Thousand Oaks, California, we can help provide small business owners with guaranteed security of their biggest investment.
Are you tired of being surprised at the total each week at the grocery store checkout counter? Grocery shopping does not have to empty your pockets in order to satisfy your family. Keep these 6 helpful tips in mind to save big and start shopping smart at the grocery store:
- “Loss Leaders” are the grocery stores way of getting shoppers into the store. Typically, they choose meat products as loss leaders because they located in a place that encourages shopping of other products. Take advantage of this opportunity and purchase meat products at 50-75% off! Freeze the meat so that you always have diverse, cost-effective meat products for your family dinners.
- Take advantage of the bulk aisle and salad bars for smaller items that are typically more expensive such as nuts and olives.
- Pay attention to prices when picking out your produce. If the produce is priced by unit, go for the heavier items. If the items are priced by weight, grab the smaller product.
- Try to be flexible when it comes to the brands you use. There are a variety of products that go on sale, you just have to be accepting of the brand.
- Take advantage of the manager’s specials, but be careful. Avoid purchasing meat that might be spoiled in a day or so. Rather, stick to bread products. You can pick up a few loafs of bread and freeze them.
- Consider taking advantage of couponing! Everyone’s doing it! There are a variety of phone applications that will make couponing easier, organizing everything for you.
Weeks & Associates Insurance encourages you to take advantage of all that our beautiful community has to offer. We are committed to maintaining the highest standard of integrity and professionalism when it comes to our relationship with you. Contact us today and allow us to formulate a unique homeowners’ insurance package based on your family’s distinct needs.