Wildfire Safety For California Residents
With wildfire season just around the corner, it is important for those living in California drought conditions to learn about prevention. When it comes to the California drought and wildfire season, the importance of wildfire safety cannot be stressed enough. Gathered is a list of ways homeowners can help lessen the damages of these unfortunately common California disasters:
- Does your home have 100 feet of defensible space? If not, now is the perfect time to ensure you have this essential space and to start hardening your home with fire-resistant materials and tools.
- There is no reason why you should be the odd man out during this desperate time with a green lawn. Now is the time to landscape your home with fire-resistant plants and drought-tolerant plants and trees.
- DO NOT make the mistake of assuming someone else has already reported the wildfire you spotted. So many individuals make the assumption that someone is ahead of them but in these scenarios it is always better to be safe than sorry. Call 9-1-1 or the local fire department if you think you see a wildfire erupting.
- Is your emergency supply kit ready to go should a wildfire begin? There is no better time than now to look through your supply kit and stock any items that may have run dry over the years.
- Most importantly, if you are told to evacuate just do it! Far too many homeowners try to protect their homes and leave themselves vulnerable to grave harm.
Contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks for all of your California homeowners insurance needs. If you live in drought-stricken California, it may be worth it to invest in extra coverage. We will help you secure the proper protection so that your home can be safe from both the California drought and wildfire season!