Prepare your home for El Niño with these tips!
El Niño has brought extreme weather to the area. From torrential downpours to 85-degree winter weather, make sure you’re prepared for the El Niño season. Ensure that your home is protected with these tips to be El Niño ready.
- Conduct a home inspection. Be sure that there aren’t any areas that could potentially leak. Be especially vigilant of your roof, gutters, and drainage systems. Clean gutters are essential for proper water drainage.
- Get to painting. Wet wood can rot, especially if your paint is chipped. Seal out any water or excess moisture by painting your home.
- Be wary of creepy crawlers. Wet weather tends to bring wildlife indoors as they try to escape the rain. Be vigilant and prepared for any unwanted house guests.
- Remember to turn off your sprinklers. No need to water your lawn, let mother nature do it for you. El Niño will bring plenty of water, so there’s no need to waste water by leaving your sprinklers running.
- Prepare your yard for excess rain and till your soil. If it’s too compact, the rain won’t be able to percolate through the soil which may lead to flooding. Make sure to soften your soil a bit to prevent any unwanted overflow.
- Keep an emergency kit on hand. You never know what the rainy weather may bring. Have plenty of flashlights with extra batteries, blankets, a three-day supply of food and water (for your pets too), and a first aid kit.
El Niño can bring lots of water to the region, so be wary of flood damage. Unfortunately, your homeowners insurance isn’t enough. Make sure you invest in flood insurance for extra El Niño security. The professionals at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks, California can help you find the best insurance for your needs. Contact us for more information.