How independent professionals can secure the right health insurance.
If you work for yourself, then you have a lot of responsibility resting on your shoulders. One of the things that you are responsible for is securing your own healthcare coverage. Not sure what insurance options are right for you? Then consider some of these health insurance options for the self-employed.
Health Insurance Marketplace
Self-employed individuals can secure healthcare coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. For instance, this coverage option is open to independent contractors, freelancers, contractors, and other types of independent workers that do not have employees. You can access this coverage option at HealthCare.gov, where you will be asked a series of questions to confirm your eligibility. Once your application is approved, you will have the option to select different coverage plans. Two of the most popular coverage types include the following:
- Higher deductible plans– These plans are some of the most affordable healthcare coverage options available. Because you are paying a higher deductible on this plan, you have lower premiums. This plan is best for people who are in good health and don’t anticipate future accidents. To secure one of these plans, you need to apply within the open-enrollment period.
- Medicaid– Many Americans have access to low-cost or even free healthcare coverage through the Medicaid insurance program. You can qualify for this coverage option if you are low-income, qualify for disability, or are over the age of 65. While you might not qualify for Medicaid based on your income, some state will accept self-employed individuals into this program. There is no enrollment period for Medicaid, so you are free to apply at any time.
If you do not qualify for health insurance through the Marketplace, then you can work directly with different insurance carriers to secure the coverage that you need. If you work with an independent insurance agency, then they have coverage options from multiple carriers. An agent will compare these offerings on your behalf, narrow down the choices, and allow you to choose the policy that best fits your budget, enrollment window, and other needs.
Special interest Groups
There are different groups that offer healthcare insurance support for self-employed individuals. For instance, you can consider the following:
- The National Association for Self-Employed (NASE)– By paying a monthly or annual membership fee, you gain access to health insurance plans to fit your needs and your budget. NASE offers options for health, dental, life, critical illness, and other types of essential coverages.
- The Freelancers Union– Through this free online platform, you can purchase healthcare coverage while supporting advocacy for freelancers.
- The National Association for Health Underwriters (NAHU)– Offers insurance products and services at a discount for its members.
These are some of the healthcare insurance options that self-employed individuals should consider. Are you looking for further assistance with your health insurance needs? If so, then contact the experts at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks, California today.