Try out these holiday safety tips recommended by the experts at Weeks & Associates.
With the holidays nearly here, we at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your loved ones a very happy and safe holiday season. As premier insurance providers, we understand the holidays introduce certain risks to the people and things you love most. To address some of the risks you face this season, try out these safety suggestions.
- Before you set out on your holiday road trip, make sure to have your car professionally serviced. This will reduce your chances of breaking down in the middle of your journey.
- Check to see which weather conditions you will encounter on your drive and prepare your car accordingly. For instance, if rain is expected, make sure your car has new tires, heavy-duty windshield wipers, and freshly cleaned headlights.
- Pack an emergency car kit. Your kit should include things like basic tools, first aid supplies, food, water, emergency money, and other useful supplies in the event that you break down and get stranded.
Home Security Safety
- If you are leaving for the holidays, keep your plans under wraps. You do not want many people to know that your home will be uninhabited, as this increases the chance of your home being targeted for a robbery.
- Hire a house sitter or ask a friend to collect your mail and keep an eye on your home while you are away. A human presence at your home will keep criminals away.
- If you are particularly worried about a break-in, invest in a good home security system.
- Do not leave your oven or stove unattended while they are in use.
- Remove flammable items from around your stove and oven. Make sure you keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen for cooking fire emergencies.
- Do not use real candles to decorate your home. Use electric candles or other flameless alternatives to reduce your fire risk.
- Before hanging up decorative lights, inspect them for broken bulbs, frayed cords, or exposed wires. Discard any damaged lights, as they increase your fire risk.
- Do not plug more than three strings of lights into a single outlet or extension cord. Overloading a plug could cause it to overheat and spark a fire.
- Put floor mats by your front door to reduce the amount of water that your customers and employees track in. Use “wet floor” signs to warn people about their slipping risk.
- If you are closing for the holidays, consider hiring a security guard or invest in a security system to ensure that your business isn’t broken into.
- Before leaving for the holidays, make sure to unplug all non-essential electronics and appliances. This will save you money on energy costs while also reducing the chances of a power surge damaging these items.
- Review your business insurance to ensure you have adequate coverage for the various risks that your business will face from winter weather conditions and other threats.
These are some of the tips you should employ to stay safe this holiday season. Are you looking for the right homeowners, auto, or commercial insurance to carry you through the holidays? If so, don’t hesitate to contact us at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks, California. We are ready to get you covered today.