Try out these suggestions to avoid water damage from the appliances inside your home.
Water damage is among the most serious and costly types of damage that your home can face. While most homeowners associate water damage with heavy rains, stormy weather, and floods, most water damage is actually caused by household appliances. If you would like to protect your home from this type of damage, then here are some preventative measure that you should take.
- Check for leaks: Check the areas around your appliances for signs of leakage every four months or so. Undetected leaks are one of the worst culprits when it comes to household water damage.
- Check supply hoses: You should also check the supply hoses leading to your appliances to ensure that their connections are water-tight and that they do not show signs of damage. Keep in mind that damage to these hoses may not be visible, so you should replace the supply hoses on your washing machine and dishwasher every five years.
- Avoid running appliances unattended: You should only run your washing machine and dishwasher when someone is at home to monitor things. This way you can stop running your appliance at the first sign of a leak or other malfunction.
- Read manuals: You should read the owner’s manual for your washing machine and dishwasher to ensure that you are using the right detergents and operating your appliances in accordance with manufacturer recommendations. This will reduce the chance of you accidentally damaging your appliances and suffering from water damage.
- Flush your water heater: You should flush out your water heater once a year to remove built-up sediment and other debris. This will keep your home’s water heater functioning properly and will reduce the chances of water damage to your property.
Take these preventative measures to stop household appliances from causing water damage to your property. Want another way to safeguard your home? Then make sure you have the proper homeowners insurance in place. For assistance with all your home coverage needs, contact the experts at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks, California today.