Help your kids surprise their mother this Sunday!
Mother’s Day is this weekend! If your kids are eager to surprise their mom with a tasty treat, then choose a kid-friendly recipe to help them with. For instance, have your kids help you stir-up and form these blueberry lemon scones this Mother’s Day.
Blueberry Lemon Buttermilk Scones
(for the scones)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. melted butter, for brushing
- 1 tbsp. coarse sugar, for sprinkling
(for lemon glaze)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- Make scones: Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and use your hands (or a pastry cutter) to cut butter into the flour until crumbles are the size of peas. Add blueberries and lemon zest and toss to coat.
- Make a well in the mixture, then add buttermilk, egg, and extracts. Mix with your hands until just combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles and place on a prepared baking sheet. Brush scones with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice, and cream until smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones as desired.
Your kids will be excited to help you with this fresh and tasty treat this Mother’s Day. Are you looking for assistance with your insurance this holiday weekend? If so, then contact the experts at Weeks & Associates Insurance Services in Thousand Oaks, California today.