Aug 12 College Student Renters Insurance

Do College Students Need Renters Insurance?

How To Insure Your College Experience

As you get ready to head off to college, you have a lot to do to prepare. You need to get textbooks for all of your classes, coordinate who is bringing what with your roommates, and pack up all of your belongings to take to school. With so much to get ready, insurance is probably one of the last things on your mind. Do not worry! We have created this quick and easy guide to answer any last-minute insurance questions you might have.

  • Will my parents’ insurance cover me? If you are going to be living in the dorms and are under the age of 26, good news! Your parents’ homeowners insurance should extend its coverage to all of the stuff you plan to move into your dorm room. If, however, you will be living off campus or are over the age of 26, you will need a renters insurance policy to cover your belongings.
  • How much does renters insurance cost? Renters insurance is actually one of the cheapest insurance policies out there! For around $20 a month, you can protect all of the belongings you are taking to college and your liability. That means that even if someone slips in your room and sues you, you are covered!
  • Can my roommate and I share a policy? Generally, you can insure one other person with you on your renters insurance policy. Just make sure he or she is listed as an additional insured party.

If you have any other questions about protecting your college experience with the right insurance coverage, contact Weeks & Associates Insurance Services. Conveniently located in Thousand Oaks, we are ready to get you the policy you need to be ready to head off to college in California or elsewhere in the country. Call us today!

Don't be shy. Give us your questions, feedback and opinions on this topic.

Let Us Know How We're DoingWrite A Review